Recipe by L. Duch
I got this recipe from a Jordanian friend of mine. The rice mixture(without the lamb and after it has been cooked) can also be stuffed into baking hens before baking. It's delicious served with Pita bread, hummus and Mediteranian olives.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄8 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 lb ground lamb
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown lamb in a bit of butter and set aside.
- Saute' onion in rest of butter, until tender.
- Add the rice, then saute' until rice is barely golden brown.
- Add the water, pinenuts, cinnamon, allspice, cooked lamb and salt.
- Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to low, cook 30 minutes or until rice is done.
- NOTE: This can be used with lamb that is cut up in bite size pieces also.
- If there is a bone in the lamb, you can add more flavor to the dish by browning the bone and letting it cook with the rice, then remove the bone when serving the dish (but of course you know that).