Prep 40 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe is from Prevention magazine. Instead of breadcrumbs this recipe uses bulgur to help bind the meatballs. Serve these with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, greek style yogurt, and pitas or pita points if desired.
- 1⁄2 cup bulgur
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground turkey (7% fat)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 c)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 T.)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped of fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley
- Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil, add bulgur, remove from heat and soak for 30 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients except cilantro or parsley, in large mixing bowl while bulgur soaks.
- Drain bulgur in a sieve to remove excess liquid. Add to turkey mixture and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Form turkey mixture into 36 meatballs, about 1 1/2 inches across, using 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of mixture per meatball. Slide 3 meatballs onto each of 12 metal skewers (6 inches long), leaving about 1/2 inch between each meatball. Place skewers on nonstick baking sheet, evenly spaced and not touching. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Sprinkle with cilantro or parsley and serve.