Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this on the web and adapted it to make a fabulous salad. I would never have thought of putting cinnamon in a dressing but it really works here. I have sometimes left the mint out and just increased the amount of the two other herbs.
- 2 whole wheat pita bread
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 red peppers or 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups lettuce, chopped and washed
- 1 tablespoon sumaq
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Place the herbs, lettuce, cilantro, scallions, pepper and tomatoes in a bowl.
- Separately, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Toss the dressing together with the salad and let rest for 15 minutes.
- About 5 minutes before you want to eat, toast the pita breads and then cut each in half crossways.
- Cut each half into 3 strips to make 12 pieces.
- Arrange 6 strips around each plate and heap the salad in the middle.
This is alright. The directions leave out the lettuce and sumaq but I did add them. I used baby arugula and baby spinach for the lettuce, a red pepper like SarasotaCook plus everything else exactly except since we are gluten free I did not add the whole wheat pita bread. This wasn't particularly good enough that I would make it again.
Loved it. Made it for lunch today, for 5 friends. I thought it was excellent. didn't change a thing. I did use red vs green pepper, but I don't think that changed anything. I did use a mix of iceberg and romaine since it didn't specify so I thought it would be a nice combination. I was very tasty. I served it with the pita and I also served Hummus, because one of my co workers loves it and it seemed to work with the dish. I also served a simple potato soup, but a very light lunch, working lunch from home. Too cold to do what we needed to do today, so inside for us. Great recipe! No complaints from me.
This recipe was easy, flexible and tasty. I served it with hummus for a complete meal. The combination of herbs and cinnamon is delicious.