Recipe by Sackville
I found this on the web and adapted it to make a fabulous salad. I would never have thought of putting cinnamon in a dressing but it really works here. I have sometimes left the mint out and just increased the amount of the two other herbs.
Top Review by UmmBinat
This is alright. The directions leave out the lettuce and sumaq but I did add them. I used baby arugula and baby spinach for the lettuce, a red pepper like SarasotaCook plus everything else exactly except since we are gluten free I did not add the whole wheat pita bread. This wasn't particularly good enough that I would make it again.
- 2 whole wheat pita bread
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 red peppers or 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups lettuce, chopped and washed
- 1 tablespoon sumaq
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the herbs, lettuce, cilantro, scallions, pepper and tomatoes in a bowl.
- Separately, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Toss the dressing together with the salad and let rest for 15 minutes.
- About 5 minutes before you want to eat, toast the pita breads and then cut each in half crossways.
- Cut each half into 3 strips to make 12 pieces.
- Arrange 6 strips around each plate and heap the salad in the middle.