Recipe by cooking kimmy
My grandmother was from Syria and she always made these green beans for family gatherings. I have cut the oil to one tablespon, while dieting and left out the pine nuts, and they are still awesome. They are also one of my favorite omlette stuffings, with a little feta cheese...Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans green beans, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot over low heat, sautee onions in olive oil with a little salt until very brown.
- To the same pan, add garlic, cumin and cinamon and sautee another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes in juice and cook until spice and onions have incorporated into the liquid.
- Add DRAINED green beans - cover and cook for at least 10 minutes.
- Add salt to tast.
- TOPPING While beans are cooking, toast pine nuts in a DRY sautee pan over medium heat. Be sure to turn them and watch closely as they burn quickly - about 2 minutes. Add cumin and olive oil and remove from heat.
- To serve place beans in large bowl and dirzzle pine nut mixture over the top.