Fattoush is a popular salad in Lebanon made with mixed greens, a lemony vinaigrette and pita bread pieces. Toasting the pita adds crunch and a sprinkle of ground sumac—which grows wild all over Lebanon—adds depth. Let the salad sit for a bit to let the pita soak up the lemony dressing. From EatingWell: EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
TO MAKE SALAD
- 12 inches whole wheat pita bread, split
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground sumac, divided (see Note)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 small salad cucumbers (peeled if desired) or 1 large cucumber, seeded and diced (peeled if desired)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh mint
TO MAKE CHICKEN
- 1TO PREPARE SALAD:
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F
- 3Place pita halves rough-side up on a large baking sheet. Brush with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sumac.
- 4Bake until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. When cool, break into bite-size pieces.
- 5Whisk lemon juice, salt, pepper and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon sumac in a large bowl.
- 6Add lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, mint and the pita pieces; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 7TO PREPARE CHICKEN:
- 8Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high. Rub the chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- 9Grill until no longer pink inside, 3 to 4 minutes per side. (Alternatively, broil chicken 4 to 6 inches from the heat source for about 6 minutes per side.)
- 10Slice the chicken thinly and serve on top of the salad.
- 12The tart berries of the sumac bush add another element to many Middle Eastern dishes. Find them whole or ground in Middle Eastern markets or online at kalustyans.com or lebaneseproducts.com.
- 13DIETARY EXCHANGES: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 3 lean meat (1 Carbohydrate Serving).
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lebanese Fattoush Salad With Grilled Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (430 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.1
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 65.8 mg
- Sodium 454.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 30.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: