Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This Middle Eastern Fattoush-Lebanese Bread Salad is a very nice change from a basic salad... and this recipe is extra special because it is made “My Way.” I have added black & green pit less olives, grape tomatoes, chickpeas and creamy cheese pieces coated with a nice blend of herbs… and with a little tahini sauce around the side of the dish.. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 pita bread
- 1⁄4 cup chickpeas (from a can or tin)
- salt and pepper
- 6 artichokes, quartered (from a can or tin)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 6 ounces laughing cow swiss cheese, wedges (Laughing Cow brand)
- 4 cups salad greens, baby spinach and a small amount of arugula (Option, other types of salad greens)
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed and cut lengthwise and then into slices
- 1⁄4 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1⁄2 cup black and green-pitted olive
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tahini sauce
- PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS.
- Combine ½ cup olive, lemon juice, lemon zest and chopped garlic, set aside.
- Cut pita bread into small pieces and toast under a broiler until they are crispy, set aside.
- Add and toss with the chickpeas salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- Sprinkle a little cinnamon powder on the artichokes, set aside.
- Combine chopped cilantro, mint and a small amount of cinnamon powder in a small bowl, then dip cheese wedges in the mixture, coat on all sides, then cut each wedge into two or three pieces and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the salad greens, cucumber, grape tomatoes, pit less olives, parsley, toss and set aside in a nice sized serving dish.
- Add on top of the salad greens & vegetables the chickpeas, cheese wedges and crisp bread.
- Pour over all the salad greens and vegetables the olive oil and lemon juice mixture including some on the crispy pita bread as well.
- Finally, drizzle a small amount of tahini sauce around the edge of the dish.
- Add the toasted pita bread at the end so it remains crispy. Khoubz Arab bread can also be substituted for the pita bread.
- You can also add coarsely ground sumac or zahtar seasoning and/or crumpled up feta cheese.
- Also, this Fattoush bread salad can be added to a nice individual plate of Hummus as well.
This was a nice salad and me and my family enjoyed it very much. I personally think you needed more chickpeas in the salad, and although I love mint I don't think it meshed well with the artichokes.