Recipe by **Jubes**
A Lebanese version of falafel. Vegetarian and if a gluten free diet is followed substitute the flour for a gluten free blend. Posted for Zaar world tour. Fava beans are also kown as broad beans. Note- time to cook does not include overnight soaking od the dried fava beans.
- 1 kg green dried fava beans, peeled
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup fresh coriander, chopped (cilantro)
- 3 heads garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain flour or 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon ground dried coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
For Deep Frying
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans in water for 24 hours, then drain well. Peel the fava beans.
- Mix together the peeled fava beans, chopped parsley, coriander/cilantro, crushed garlic and chopped onions.
- Grind in a food processor.
- Add all remaining falafel ingredients and process again.
- Allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Knead the falafel mix.
- Form spoonfuls of the falafel mixture into balls and flatten slightly.
- Heat oil in deep pan over high heat, then fry till browned.
- Note: Cooking time does not include 24 hours soaking time for the beans.