Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Here's one I haven't tried yet but have been wanting to. Time to make does not include a steeping period of 24 hours.
- 1 lb ripe eggplant, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 cloves
- 1 small square cheesecloth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cover eggplant cubes with water and bring to a boil; let cook 10 min and drain. Dissolve sugar in 2 cups water.
- Place cloves in small square of cheesecloth, pull corners together and tie with thread to make a bag. Place in sugar water, bring to a boil, add to the eggplant and remove from heat.
- Let stand 24 hours.
- Drain the eggplant, reserving the syrup. Boil the syrup 20 minutes, add the eggplant back in and boil 30 minutes more.
- Remove the bag of cloves.
- Stir in the lemon juice and pour jam into hot sterilized jars.
- Let cool completely and store in a cool dark place.
I had an incredible breakfast at Kinneret, Israel that included something like this, and I have been looking for a recipe for this since. This one is very, very close. Thanks!