Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious one-pot wonder which keeps for several days and is just as delicious cold.
Make and share this Lebanese Chicken With Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 diced onions
- 300 g ground beef or 300 g ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or 1⁄4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 3 cups hot stock (you can use 3 beef or chicken stock cubes, if so omit the salt)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Heat the olive oil over high heat in a pan.
- Sauté the chicken on both sides until golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and ground beef to the same hot pan.
- Cook until the onions and meat is beginning to brown, then add the garlic and cook another minute or two.
- Add the cinnamon, allspice, cayenne pepper (or chilli flakes) and salt; sauté two minutes while stirring.
- Stir in the rice making sure that it is fully covered with the oil and spices, place the chicken in the rice.
- Add the pine nuts.
- Pour in the stock or water and cover. Cook slowly for about half an hour. Stir occasionally and as you do so allow the chicken to break up. You may need to add extra hot water if the rice gets a little dry.
- Remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle with minced parsley.
Lebanese chicken with rice is probably one of the most traditional Lebanese dishes. This recipe is very authentic and extremely flavorful. I made double the quantity identified in the recipe and made a side of roasted potatoes, which were boiled first in chicken broth and cinnamon. I served this along side plain yogurt and pickles. An absolute hit!
This was good. I had to make due with the ingredients I had on hand, which meant no chicken or pine nuts. The spices of this dish taste better at room temperature than hot. I think the pine nuts I was missing would have added another layer of much needed texture, but I also think it needs another flavor to brighten the overall taste..maybe some fresh mint? Overall, great dish with some tweaking.
This was delicious, easy to prepare, and easy to clean up. I loved that it could all be done in one pot. The chicken was tender and the rice was so tasty and spiced just right. I can't wait to eat the leftovers tomorrow and my not-so-adventurous husband loved it as well. I sliced fresh cucumber as our veggie and the two went really well together.