Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe, using a preroasted chicken from the grocery store, can be made up in about 30 minutes. Serve with a salad on the side.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1 generous cup angel hair pasta, broken into 3-4-inch long pieces
- 2 cups rice
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- garlic powder, as needed
- black pepper, as needed
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas (and thawed)
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, kept warm
- Have all of the ingredients measured out and ready before starting this recipe.
- In an extra large nonstick frying pan or a dutch oven, put the olive oil and pine nuts.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, because pine nuts can easily burn.
- When the pine nuts are light brown, add the angel hair pasta.
- Do not use a pasta that is any thinner, or it may cook too quickly and get mushy.
- When the pasta is light brown, add the rice and stir until all of the grains are coated with oil, about one minute.
- This will help keep the rice grains separated when cooking.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, pepper and garlic powder and increase heat to high.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to very low and cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, either break or cut the chicken into small chunks or you can also shred it.
- After 20 minutes, check to make sure that the rice is tender and all of the water has evaporated.
- Turn off heat.
- Stir the peas into the rice and check for salt.
- Top with the chicken and serve.
- Variation: Just before adding the liquid, stir in 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1-2 teaspoons Arabic Spice Mixture (aka 7 Spice Mixture) or allspice can be substituted.
Prepared this meal for supper tonight for DH and myself - instructions are very clear and easy to follow. The meal was okay - next time I make it I'll add garlic and perhaps some onion for flavor - was just a tad bland for us. Thanks for posting.