Recipe by Leslie in Texas
A taste of the Mediterranean! Moist, flavorful chicken is the star of this elegant dinner - serve with Tunisian carrot salad and Turkish zucchini pancakes. Serves four very generously, or split the chicken halves to serve eight!
Top Review by Lorac
We loved the flavor imparted by the lemon, garlic, thyme, paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper marinade. Baking this easy to make Lebanese style chicken at 425°F results in a very moist chicken with a crispy skin. I used bone in breasts marinated overnight. There was very little pan juice to baste with because some of it carmelized around the edges of the pan. I think next time I might add a bit of water to the pan, halfway through the cooking time. I served this with Leslie's Tunisian Carrot Salad for a wonderfully enticing dinner. Leslie, I am so lucky I chose you for " Pick A Chef"
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme (or 2 t. dried, though fresh is better)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (3 lb) whole chickens, split lengthwise, backbones removed and discarded
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk lemon juice, garlic, thyme, paprika, cumin and cayenne in a small bowl.
- Place chicken in a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Pour marinade over; turn chicken to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Transfer chicken and marinade to large roasting pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through, basting with pan juices, about 50 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plates.
- Pass pan juices separately.