Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A taste of the Mediterranean! Moist, flavorful chicken is the star of this elegant dinner - serve with Tunisian carrot salad and Turkish zucchini pancakes. Serves four very generously, or split the chicken halves to serve eight!
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme (or 2 t. dried, though fresh is better)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (3 lb) whole chickens, split lengthwise, backbones removed and discarded
- Whisk lemon juice, garlic, thyme, paprika, cumin and cayenne in a small bowl.
- Place chicken in a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Pour marinade over; turn chicken to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Transfer chicken and marinade to large roasting pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through, basting with pan juices, about 50 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plates.
- Pass pan juices separately.
We loved the flavor imparted by the lemon, garlic, thyme, paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper marinade. Baking this easy to make Lebanese style chicken at 425°F results in a very moist chicken with a crispy skin. I used bone in breasts marinated overnight. There was very little pan juice to baste with because some of it carmelized around the edges of the pan. I think next time I might add a bit of water to the pan, halfway through the cooking time. I served this with Leslie's Tunisian Carrot Salad for a wonderfully enticing dinner. Leslie, I am so lucky I chose you for " Pick A Chef"