Prep 50 mins
Cook 0 mins
This delicious recipe is from Burt Green and is my favorite way to eat whole wheat bulgur. It easy and fabulous as a side dish for a wide variety of meat or vegetarian meals. Please try this.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth, heated
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the tomatos and basil, cooking 2 more minutes.
- Stir the bulgur into the tomato mixture, making sure that the bulgur is well coated.
- Stir in the hot broth, reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add the honey, tomato paste, salt, pepper and cayenne to the bulgur mixture.
- Continue to cook, covered until the bulgur is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the top.
Great Bulgar Recipe. We had it alongside roasted lamb. Tasty and easy!
I love this stuff it's a nice change from pasta & rice which I love. I added a few chopped mini carrots along with zucchini & yellow squash and red pepper flakes. I even ate it for breakfast and topped it with a fried egg, the runny yolk was amazing mixed with the Bulgur & veggies. Now I'm going to try it on my hubby this week! Thanks for sharing!
This was amazing! My partner, who always turns up his nose at bulgar wheat, cous cous etc has just eaten 2 portions and asked if he can take some to work for lunch tomorrow. We ate it with some chicken and roasted veg.
Its quite easy to make and only used ingredients that i usually have in the store cupboard anyway. I found that stirring every 5 mins and adding a little more stock or water each time stopped it from burning. I used tinned tomatoes.