Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an easy and tasty recipe that I discovered and adapted from Mark Bittman. I like it both hot and cold
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 teaspoons pickling spices
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- Heat oil in pan and add bulgar, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, cabbage, Worcestershire sauce and the pickling spice (put spices in a tea ball or cheesecloth to keep them together).
- Cover, boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Take off heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove pickling spice and serve.
Well, I think it was me who messed up. I used coarse ground bulgur & it took a LOT longer to cook. Stick with the fine or maybe medium? That said, I doubled it, it made a LOT & everyone enjoyed it! I added more cabbage than I was supposed to but it didn't hurt it any. This is a good recipe to have in your repertoire. :) Made for 'If it's September this must be Lebanon!'