Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
One of my favorite dishes. It is traditionally eaten with cooked white rice, but equally delicious with some corn chips.
- 1 cup dried butter beans, soaked overnight
- 1 lb lean ground meat
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 tomato-flavored bouillon cubes or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Soak the beans in water overnight. Drain and rinse.
- Cook the meat and garlic with olive oil in a pan.
- Once the meat is all browned, add the rest of the ingredients with the exception of the cilantro. Stir to deglaze the pan.
- Bring to a boil, add the cilantro, cover and simmer until the beans are fully cooked (between 30 and 40 minutes).
- You might need to add some water if it becomes too dry, so check on it every 10 minutes.
- Eat over cooked white rice.
This would have been 5 stars except that the soaked beans didn't cook in the time stated. It simmered for 2 hours & they were barely tender. :( I will cook them separately first then add them next time. I did sub parsley for cilantro because i loathe the stuff. We absolutely loved this & I will definitely make it again! Made for If it's September this Must be Labanon! in the NA/ME Forum. You should stop by.... :) Beth