Recipe by Engineer in the Kitchen
One of my favorite dishes. It is traditionally eaten with cooked white rice, but equally delicious with some corn chips.
Top Review by Elmotoo
This would have been 5 stars except that the soaked beans didn't cook in the time stated. It simmered for 2 hours & they were barely tender. :( I will cook them separately first then add them next time. I did sub parsley for cilantro because i loathe the stuff. We absolutely loved this & I will definitely make it again! Made for If it's September this Must be Labanon! in the NA/ME Forum. You should stop by.... :) Beth
- 1 cup dried butter beans, soaked overnight
- 1 lb lean ground meat
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 tomato-flavored bouillon cubes or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans in water overnight. Drain and rinse.
- Cook the meat and garlic with olive oil in a pan.
- Once the meat is all browned, add the rest of the ingredients with the exception of the cilantro. Stir to deglaze the pan.
- Bring to a boil, add the cilantro, cover and simmer until the beans are fully cooked (between 30 and 40 minutes).
- You might need to add some water if it becomes too dry, so check on it every 10 minutes.
- Eat over cooked white rice.