Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Make and share this Lebanese Baklava ( Custard) recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 F after the filling has been prepared.
- Divide the pastry into 2-equal parts.
- Lay 1 sheet on a well-buttered 11 x 16 inch baking pan.
- Brush surface generously with melted butter.
- Lay second sheet on top of first and butter.
- Repeat until half of the pastry sheets have been used.
- Cover unused half of pastry sheets with a kitchen cloth to prevent from drying.
- Prepare the filling: Over medium heat bring milk, sugar vanilla and salt to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add fine grain semolina by sprinkling in a little at a time, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and the fine grain semolina is well cooked.
- Spread the cool semolina mixture evenly over the entire surface of pastry sheets.
- Again build up the remaining half of the pastry sheets, buttering each surface generously.
- Pour the remaining butter over the top.
- With a knife partially cut top layer of pastry into squares to let steam out.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until light golden.
- While the baklava is cooking prepare syrup: Place sugar, water, and lemon juice in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Remove baklava from oven.
- Pour off all excess butter by tilting the pan.
- Cook for 10 minutes after brushing surface lightly with some of the drained butter.
- Pour syrup over a little at a time, until all is absorbed.
- Allow to cool for several hours.