1 hr 20 mins
** Poppy **'s Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 F after the filling has been prepared.
- 2Divide the pastry into 2-equal parts.
- 3Lay 1 sheet on a well-buttered 11 x 16 inch baking pan.
- 4Brush surface generously with melted butter.
- 5Lay second sheet on top of first and butter.
- 6Repeat until half of the pastry sheets have been used.
- 7Cover unused half of pastry sheets with a kitchen cloth to prevent from drying.
- 8Prepare the filling: Over medium heat bring milk, sugar vanilla and salt to a boil in a saucepan.
- 9Add fine grain semolina by sprinkling in a little at a time, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and the fine grain semolina is well cooked.
- 10Spread the cool semolina mixture evenly over the entire surface of pastry sheets.
- 11Again build up the remaining half of the pastry sheets, buttering each surface generously.
- 12Pour the remaining butter over the top.
- 13With a knife partially cut top layer of pastry into squares to let steam out.
- 14Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until light golden.
- 15While the baklava is cooking prepare syrup: Place sugar, water, and lemon juice in a saucepan.
- 16Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved.
- 17Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes without stirring.
- 18Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- 19Remove baklava from oven.
- 20Pour off all excess butter by tilting the pan.
- 21Cook for 10 minutes after brushing surface lightly with some of the drained butter.
- 22Pour syrup over a little at a time, until all is absorbed.
- 23Allow to cool for several hours.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lebanese Baklava ( Custard)
Serving Size: 1 (2718 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.4
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 52.1 mg
- Sodium 318.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 37.5 g
- Protein 4.3 g