Recipe by Bergy
Wonderful, satisfying soup. This is a whole meal in itself. Great for lunch or dinner. Do ahead and reheat. The aroma from the garlic and cilantro fills the house and makes you want to dig right in.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown lentils
- 6 cups cold water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 8 -10 leaves swiss chard, washed, stems removed, cut down the middle and shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- lemon wedge (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the lentils and place in a large sauce pan with the 6 cups water.
- Bring lentils to a boil, skimming when necessary, cover and simmer gently for approximately 1 hour or until the lentils are soft (do not under-cook) .
- In a separate pan heat the olive oil, add onions and cook until transparent, stir in the garlic and cook for a minute more. Add shredded swiss chard and stir fry until the leaves are wilted.
- Pour onions into the pot with the lentils, add cilantro, season with salt and pepper, add lemon juice and simmer for a further 15-20 minutes. Serve in soup bowls garnished with a wedge of lemon. Serve with some type of flatbread.