Recipe by Lea Deesing
It has taken me a long time to perfect this spicy Thai soup recipe. I think it is as good as any other I've tasted at restaurants. Try serving over white sticky rice. Try variations of this recipe until you find what you like. If you don't like coconut milk, try the "Tom Yum" version of this soup without the coconut milk and cream. I don't like coconut very much, but I love this soup with the coconut milk.
Top Review by Gwen LP
Excellent recipe for one of my favorite dishes. I find the tom yum paste a bit salty, so I cut down the amount by half and added a teaspoon of chili garlic paste for heat. Really yummy!
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons shrimp soup paste (add more for more spice, however the mixture becomes saltier) or 3 tablespoons tom yum paste (add more for more spice, however the mixture becomes saltier)
- 4 sprigs lemon grass root (two inch sprigs)
- 1⁄4 lime peel, ground finely
- 1 lime, juice of
- 4 cloves garlic (or more depending on your preference)
- 1 small red chile (add more for more spice)
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄8 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lb chopped boneless skinless chicken, cut into small cubes
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream (add more if you like it creamier!)
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium to large saucepan, bring to boil ALL ingredients EXCEPT garlic, red chili, ginger root, cilantro, chicken, and half and half cream.
- Meanwhile, chop the remaining ingredients (except chicken and half and half cream) finely in chopping machine, then add this to the pot.
- Chop and boil the chicken pieces in the soup for around 5 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Add the half-and-half cream to the soup and stir constantly to avoid curdling for around three minutes.
- Remove lemon grass root upon serving, or tell victims to remove before eating the soup!
- Serve soup warm or hot.
- NOTE: fish sauce, oyster sauce, Tom Yum paste may be purchased at a Thai or Chinese market. Also, sometimes your local store will carry these items.