Recipe by Irish Rose
I just finished reading Paula Deen's July/August 2008 magazine and had to try the above recipe that Paula adapted from one of Leanne Morgan's recipes. We really enjoyed it and loved the crunch of the almonds and celery. There is only the two of us, so I cut the recipe in half and it worked out great. We even have enough left for lunch tomorrow.
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter flavored crackers, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In large bowl, combine chicken, rice, soup, celery, onion, mayonnaise, almonds, broth and lemon juice. Spread mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In small bowl, combine cracker crumbs and melted butter, tossing gently to coat. Sprinkle cracker crumbs over casserole and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Note: I used Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice. I also used Ritz crackers. This casserole can be covered and chilled overnight. Be sure to let it come to room temperature before baking.