Recipe by morningglory
This is really versatile. Ground round is as lean as ground turkey, and has less calories. I make sandwiches with these, use for spagetti. You can also use with cream of mushroom soup and serve over noodle.
- 3⁄4 lb ground round
- 3⁄4 lb 50% less fat sausage
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I use ones that have garlic and other spices mixed in but you can use whatever you like)
- 1 small onion, diced very fine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 slices white bread, diced (you can use reduced calorie bread, or whole wheat bread)
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Put 1/2 of the can of tomatoes in a bowl with liquid.
- Smash with fork or ricer.
- Reserve the rest of the tomatoes.
- Add worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and seasonings.
- Mix well.
- Place bread in liquid.
- Let sit 2 minutes.
- Add egg and mix in.
- Mix meats together, then add to liquid and bread.
- Blend until well incorperated.
- Shape into balls.
- Size doesn't matter, whatever you like is fine.
- Bake for about 20 minutes on a cookies sheet.
- I use parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- You can also bake these on a cookie rack for even less fat.
- You can add the rest of the tomatoes to a red sauce, if using for spagetti, or save for a later meal.