3 hrs 15 mins
This is a take on Delia Smith's light version of Shepherd's Pie. The difference with this recipe is that the meat is roasted in the oven, instead of being fried.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 4 ounces carrots, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 ounce plain flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 15 fluid ounces vegetable stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the topping
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 140C or 275 degrees F.
- 2Place the onion, swede and carrots into the bowl of a food processor.
- 3Then add the cinnamon, herbs and flour and whiz everything until it is all finely chopped but stop before it turns into a purée.
- 4Place it all in a casserole dish, add the beef and season generously with salt and pepper.
- 5Next mix the tomato purée and stock together in a jug, stir this into the casserole and give it a good mix.
- 6Place the casserole over a gentle heat and bring it up to simmering point.
- 7Cover with the lid and place it in the pre-heated oven on the centre shelf to cook for 2 hours.
- 8About 30 minutes before the time is up, peel the potatoes, cut them into even-sized chunks and place them in a saucepan.
- 9Pour boiling water over, add some salt, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until they are tender when pierced with a skewer.
- 10Drain the potatoes, cover with a clean tea cloth for 5 minutes to absorb the steam, then, start to mash the potatoes (an electric handheld whisk on slow speed is best for this), gradually adding the quark, milk and a seasoning of salt and freshly milled black pepper and continuing to whisk until the potatoes are light and fluffy.
- 11At this point remove the casserole from the oven and increase the temperature to 200C or 400°F.
- 12Cover the meat mixture evenly with the mashed potato.
- 13Now slice the leek lengthways into four and chop each length into 1/4 inch slices.
- 14Rinse and dry them, then cover the potato with chopped leek, pressing them gently into the surface.
- 15Finally cover the leeks with grated Cheddar and then sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- 16Return the dish to the oven on a high shelf for 25 minutes or until the top is golden and crusty.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lean Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (451 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 488.7
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 70.7 mg
- Sodium 292.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 28.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: