Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I've tried several Shepherd Pie recipes but I keep coming back to this one. This is one of the few that calls for cream corn & worcestershire to add a different twist to the recipe. Adapted from 'Cooking for the Rushed' cookbook. The original recipe uses instant mashed potatoes but I prefer to use regular ones.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup ketchup
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can creamed corn
- 3 cups prepared mashed potatoes (or instant)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large fry pan, brown meat until it is no longer pink.
- Add ketchup, worcestershire sauce & seasoning to cooking meat. Stir well.
- Pour meat mixture into a large rectangular pan.
- Rinse frozen corn & spread it evenly over the meat mixture.
- Spread the creamed corn next.
- Top casserole with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes. If you like the top abit crunchy, broil a few minutes before removing from the oven.
Wife and I really enjoyed your dish tonight. Was simple and tasty. Did ratch it up a notch with some chopped onions and bell pepper. And, if one not adverse to calories, some sharp cheddar on top during last few minutes would be 'frosting on the cake'.
Comfort food here! i wanted to make this lean shepherds pie leaner. So i sauteed 1 onion, 2 cups sliced, mushrooms, and used 1 pound turkey in place of the beef. Also added 1 teaspoon parsley and 1/2 teaspoon oregano to the beef mixture. Added 1/2 cup ketchup and 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce. We need to keep the sodium down. No instant potatoes in my home only enjoy fresh made with low fat milk an olive oil in place of butter. Used more like 4-5 cups of potatoes. Sprayed the top with olive oil. Thanks! Made for PAC http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=296583&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
We really liked this. I do not make shepherd pies that often because of the picky eaters in this house that do not like peas or green beans or carrots mixed with their food but since this recipe did not have any of that, it worked out perfect.