Recipe by Gymkitty
Healthy version of lasagna
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
The first important thing here is that this wonderful lasagna can be DONE (start to finish) in just under an hour, with very tasty results! That said, I made a number of changes that actually made the dish even "leaner". I sauteed the onions and turkey together, which eliminated the need for any oil. I also only used 1.5 c mozzarella (1/2 c on each layer) and 1.5 c ricotta. The ricotta mix was a little tough to stir, so I microwaved the bowl for about 30 seconds to wilt the spinach. It was much easier to stir and spread then. The nutmeg was a nice touch--I had my doubts but was pleasantly surprised. Finally, I only used 3/4 lb of turkey, as that's what I had on hand. Really it was plenty; my very carnivorous DH scarfed it right down! Thanks for posting a definite keeper, Gymkitty!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons basil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushroom
- 6 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Heat oil in large skillet. Sauté onion for 2 minutes, then add turkey and cook an additional 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, all seasonings, garlic, and mushrooms and simmer 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- In a bowl, combine spinach, ricotta, and nutmeg. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and rinse with cool water.
- Coat a 9" x 13" baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange 1/3 lasagna noodles (3 noodles) on the bottom of the pan. Spread a layer of ricotta mixture, then turkey mixture, then 1/3 mozzarella. Repeat layers, ending with mozzarella.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese bubbles. Cool at least 5 minutes before cutting.