Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Healthy version of lasagna
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons basil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushroom
- 6 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F Heat oil in large skillet. Sauté onion for 2 minutes, then add turkey and cook an additional 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, all seasonings, garlic, and mushrooms and simmer 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- In a bowl, combine spinach, ricotta, and nutmeg. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and rinse with cool water.
- Coat a 9" x 13" baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange 1/3 lasagna noodles (3 noodles) on the bottom of the pan. Spread a layer of ricotta mixture, then turkey mixture, then 1/3 mozzarella. Repeat layers, ending with mozzarella.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese bubbles. Cool at least 5 minutes before cutting.
The first important thing here is that this wonderful lasagna can be DONE (start to finish) in just under an hour, with very tasty results! That said, I made a number of changes that actually made the dish even "leaner". I sauteed the onions and turkey together, which eliminated the need for any oil. I also only used 1.5 c mozzarella (1/2 c on each layer) and 1.5 c ricotta. The ricotta mix was a little tough to stir, so I microwaved the bowl for about 30 seconds to wilt the spinach. It was much easier to stir and spread then. The nutmeg was a nice touch--I had my doubts but was pleasantly surprised. Finally, I only used 3/4 lb of turkey, as that's what I had on hand. Really it was plenty; my very carnivorous DH scarfed it right down! Thanks for posting a definite keeper, Gymkitty!