1/2 Photos of Lean Green Chicken Chili
A thick and rich stew that got all thumbs up from my diners! This is a Pampered Chef recipe that I've submitted as it appeared in my cookbook. For visual appeal, next time I'll use cannelini beans rather than pintos. I didn't even attempt to grate the tortillas, I just chopped them up finely; you need them small enough to dissolve & thicken the stew. The poblano peppers add lots of flavor but not much heat. The opportunity to adjust the heat level to your taste will be in your choice of salsa verde. I used a medium-heat salsa and it was just right for us. I also opted not to use the remaining tortillas for chips - I just warmed them & served on the side. Let your tastebuds guide you in your choices!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas, divided
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup chopped poblano pepper (1-2 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced-fat chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups salsa verde (green salsa) or 1 (10 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Cut 4 tortillas in half and stack them one on top of the other. Cut into 1/2-inch strips & toss with 1 teaspoon oil.
- 3Spread tortilla strips in a single layer in a baking pan. Bake 10-12 minutes or until crisp, stirring once. Remove from oven and set aside.
- 4Fold each of the remaining 4 tortillas into quarters & and coarsely grate using a box grater or your favorite method. Set aside. (Cook's note - I opted to just finely chop the tortillas rather than grating).
- 5Toss chicken pieces with cumin.
- 6Heat remaining 1 teaspoon of oil in a large soup pan, add chicken and cook 5 minutes. Remove chicken.
- 7Add poblano peppers, onion and garlic to pan. Cook and stir 3 minutes.
- 8Stir in chicken, broth, beans, salsa and grated tortillas.
- 9Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- 10Stir in cilantro, ladle into soup bowls and top with baked tortilla strips.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lean Green Chicken Chili
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 603.6
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 732.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.3 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 46.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat chicken broth