Recipe by Mura Wehi
A leaner version of comatose brownies. This one is vegan friendly and will have the added flavor of bananas. Just one bite of this extremely dark brownie is all it takes to send you into a chocolate coma. Lightweights, beware! Enjoy with a tall glass of milk.
- 3⁄4 cup nucoa brand margarine (Or any brand that is vegan)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon good vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 bananas, pureed
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (non-dairy semi-sweet chocolate can be used also) (optional)
- cooking spray (to grease pan)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 325 F and generously grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a saucepan, melt the margarine over low heat.
- Add the sugar and stir, keeping the heat on. Don't let the mixture bubble! It should be shiny, however.
- Remove from heat and add cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. (NOTE: If the margarine is salted, leave out the teaspoon of salt or your brownies will be far too salty!) Beat *very* well.
- Add the vanilla and stir more gently, then add the pureed bananas.
- Add the flour and gently stir together.
- Once the batter has cooled down a bit, add the unsweetened chocolate. CAUTION: the more coarsely the unsweetened chocolate is chopped, the sharper the brownies will be. If you like almost sinfully dark brownies, then be daring --.
- Add the chocolate chips if you want. This will also tone down the sharpness (but not by much!).
- Pour the dark batter into the greased baking dish, being careful to get every bit of the batter.
- Bake at 325 F for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out "somewhat clean".
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Brace yourself for the chocolate coma and enjoy.