Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Redbook magazine 1991.
Make and share this Lean-Bean Cassoulet recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch slices (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 8 ounces low-fat turkey kielbasa or 8 ounces low-fat turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 (12 ounce) ham steaks, trimmed of fat and cut into 4 equal piecces
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium celery ribs, cut into 1 inch diagonal slices (about 1 cup)
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 (16 ounce) cans small white beans, rinsed and drained
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a 12 inch nonstick skillet over low heat, heat oil; add carrots; cook, covered, 8 to 10 minutes until almost tender, uncovering to stir occasionally. Add kielbasa slices; increase heat to medium high; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently until kielbasa and carrots are browned. Using a slotted spoon, remove kielbasa and carrots to a bowl.
- To drippings in skillet add ham steaks; cook over medium high heat about 2 minutes on each side until browned. Remove to bowl with kielbasa and carrots.
- To drippings in skillet add onion, celery and garlic; cook, covered, over medium heat about 2 minutes until onion is softened, uncovering once to stir. Return carrots, kielbasa and ham to skillet along with tomatoes and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender, kielbasa is cooked through and liquid is slightly reduced.
- Stir beans and pepper into mixture in skillet; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer, stirring occasionally until heated through.