Recipe by Viking Knitter
This is my favorite soup in the whole wide world. I have tried lots of recipes and have liked some, and have been disappointed by many. I like a lot of rice in my soup, it makes it nice and thick. So, to take the guesswork out, I created my own! I am a purist when it comes to this soup... no frills, and just a little spiciness! I make so much of it my hubby jokes that one day I will turn into a pot of lemon soup!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
WHAT AN UNUSUAL, YET TASTY SOUP! I shared it with some neighbors & they were as surprised as we were at the wonderful flavor! Most definitely something I want to make again, & some time it'll be made for company to enjoy! Thanks for a great keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs at the tail end of the current Pick A Chef]
- 9 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw long-grain rice
- 9 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon crushed dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs in large bowl with whisk until frothy. Add lemon juice.
- Heat chicken broth in stockpot until it lightly boils. Ladle out 1 cup broth and set aside.
- Turn up heat for the broth, until boiling. Add rice, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slowly pour the reserved hot broth into the egg-lemon mixture while beating until frothy.
- When rice is done cooking (will be slightly firm) Slowly add egg-lemon-broth mixture, while stirring constantly, to avoid curdling the eggs.
- Add oregano, parsley, pepper, and Tabasco.
- Continue cooking for 20-30 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until thickened to desired consistency.
- Check seasonings and adjust to taste.