Recipe by Harley Seashell Princess
A favorite recipe coming from the dog-eared page in my Southern Living magazine. I have used bacon in place of the ham in this recipe with delicious results!
Top Review by Aly Can't Cook
I must have done this wrong, because 2 cups of chicken broth was no where near enough liquid to cover all the ingredients in the pot in order to bring everything to a boil. :( Luckily enough I had an extra can on hand. It took 3 cups and a little extra in all. Apart from this recipe was REALLY good!
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 1⁄2 cups smoked ham (diced or cubed)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 lbs frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb new potato, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Saute ham and onions for 5 minutes.
- Except for the red bell pepper, add the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cook and cover for 15-20 minutes adding the red bell pepper for the last 2-3 minutes.