Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
curly lettuce leaves to catch the dressing, crispy, crunchy apple slices, rich, salty parmesan cheese. This is a salad that ROCKS!
- 1 small radicchio, leaves separated and torn into small pieces
- 2 heads Belgian endive, leaves separated and torn into small pieces
- 1 small frisee, tough stems removed and torn into small pieces
- 1 bunch rocket, torn into small pieces (or roka)
- 1 tart green apple, such as granny smith,peel left on,thinly sliced
- 1 sweet red apple, such as fuji,peel left on,thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, curls (or more)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar or 2 1⁄2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil or 1⁄2 cup walnut oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Have previously washed your lettuces and spun dry, or put in a large, clean pillow case and swung over your head for a few seconds (this really works! The centrifugal force gets the water off the leaves and the pillow case absorbs it- don't let anyone see you doing this- they'll think you're insane).
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Combine the lettuces in a large bowl and toss well.
- Add the apples and nuts and drizzle with the dressing.
- Toss again.
- Using a vegetable peeler or sharp paring knife, shave curls off if a wedge of parmesan over the top (be generous!).
- Serve at once as the lettuce will start to wilt with time.
This is a very nice salad. I used toasted almonds in place of walnuts. I loved the tartness of the salad dressing with the sweetness of the apples. Simple and lovely. Thank you evelyn!
A wonderful combination of ingredients. I did cheat a bit, using a similar vinaigrette but otherwise made the salad as directed. Loved the parmesan curls.