Recipe by Derf
So good! Use any combination of greens you wish. Looks great and tastes great for a brunch table. From the local newspaper.
Top Review by Demandy
I don't want to rate this because I didn't taste it, but the guests that did found this bitter. The puff pastry was difficult to work with, in order to work with it easily, spray a wax paper with cooking spray so it doesn't stick and try to keep it cold until you create the braid. I also had trouble with my measurements of greens, I wasn't calculating properly, and used only kale and collard greens. I would recommend trying spinach and kale, perhaps that would reduce the bitterness. Thanks for sharing anyway, Derf.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 4 cups kale, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 4 cups collard greens, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 4 cups swiss chard, trimmed and roughly chopped (if not all available, use all of one or two or a mixture of spinach,oriental or regular bok choy, al)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large, nonstick,frypan over medium high heat, heat oil.
- Add onion and garlic; saute until softened.
- Add zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper and mustard seeds; cook one minute.
- Stir in leafy greens; cover and cook until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in pecans.
- Roll pastry to 12 x 9 inch rectangle, spread leafy green mixture along centre.
- Along one length of pastry, make diagonal cuts almost to filling, 1 inch apart; repeat on other side.
- Alternating strips, fold over filling to form braid, brushing with egg to secure.
- Brush entire top of strudel with egg; sprinkle with salt.
- Transfer strudel to parchment lined baking sheet; bake in a 450°F oven until pastry is golden, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly.