Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the stuffing I grew up with. I'm not interested in adding things to it, or finding new stuffings for the holiday - I'm a traditionalist. I'll try new things with a baked chicken. It's not turkey diner without this in our family.
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb bulk sausage (mild flavor)
- 2 loaves bread, torn into pieces and dried overnight (~1 lb each)
- 2 -4 tablespoons poultry seasoning (Bells is best)
- 1 1⁄2 cups turkey broth or 1 1⁄2 cups bouillon
- 2 eggs
- The night before, tear up bread and leave on counter to dry.
- Brown sausage in pan. Part way through add celery and onions and cook till translucent and sausage is done.
- While sausage is browning, put bread in large bowl, sprinkle poultry seasoning on top (start with 2 tablespoons). Add meat mixture and mix gently. Add half of broth and mix with hands, taste and see if you need more seasoning. Add eggs and as much remaining broth (or more) as necessary for texture. Mix till well blended. I still stuff in bird,(mostly in neck skin - loosely in cavity) but finish it in oven after bird is out. Temp should be 165 when checked.
This is the exact recipe that my mom has been using since I was a child and that I now serve my own family. I guess I am a traditionalist too! This is so tasty and easy and moist. So worth the few minutes it takes to make.