- 4 cups cream
- 6 green onions, minced
- 4 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no substitutions)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup white wine (Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio is wonderful, but whatever you have is fine)
- 1 egg yolk, beaten lightly
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour cream into a saucepan, place on low heat and reduce by a third.
- While the cream is reducing, melt butter in a small skillet and cook onions and mushrooms; season with salt and peppers.
- Cook on medium high heat for about ten minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add white wine and reduced cream; bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool briefly.
- Whisk in yolk and return to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove immediately from heat and serve.