Recipe by Jostlori
Ooh La La! This yummy dessert makes a great impression and is so easy to make! I hate to admit it, but when in a hurry I've used canned pear halves and instead of the chocolate sauce, have used premade caramel sauce. The guests loved it anyways!
FOR THE PEAR MERINGUES
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 pears, medium ripe, peeled, halved and cored
- 4 large egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
FOR THE RUM MOCHA CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE PEAR MERINGUES:.
- Bring water, 3/4 cup sugar and lemon juice to a boil in a pan which will accommodate all pear halves in a single layer.
- When sugar dissolves completely, add pears and simmer uncovered for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Drain pears on paper towels and cool completely.
- Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 475 degrees.
- Transfer pear halves to buttered baking sheet, cut side down and 4 inches apart.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gradually incorporate remaining sugar, beating until stiff and shiny.
- Using pastry bag with large star tip, pipe meringue over each pear and bake until lightly browned, approximately 2 minutes.
- Cool or serve immediately with the chocolate sauce.
- FOR THE RUM MOCHA CHOCOLATE SAUCE:.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add rum, sugar, cocoa, cream and salt. Stir and bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- Add coffee, stirring to dissolve. Simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.