Recipe by TheHungaryCook
(Authentic Sicilian Lasagna Supreme) This is a very old lasagna recipe handed down through many generations, and was given to me by an older Sicilian woman. It takes a while to make, but is it ever worth the wait.
Top Review by Pleased to Meet You
So good! I used a box of Barilla no boil lasagne, increased liquid with 2nd 28 oz. can tomatoes, only 1 can tomato paste. I used turkey hot Italian sausage, and put meat mixture through food processor after browning/draining for even grind. I used only 1 lb. of mozarella. Completely filled a 9x13x3 casserole. Baked it covered one hour on a cookie sheet to catch any spill, then uncovered with added parmesan for 5 to 10 minutes, and allowed to rest at least 15 minutes before serving. It held together beautifully, was both rich and light. Half of it fed six at my dinner party. Big hit!
- 1 lb lasagna noodle
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 (15 ounce) containers ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 lbs mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups asiago cheese, grated
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Drain and set aside.
- Cook the ground beef and sausage.
- Drain off the grease.
- Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms to the meat/sausage mixture.
- Saute until onion is tender.
- Add the sugar, salt, basil, fennel seed, pepper, tomatoes and tomato paste. Blend well. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Combine the eggs, ricotta cheese, parsley and salt. Blend well.
- In the bottom of a very large baking pan, spread just enough of the meat mixture to cover the bottom.
- Layer lasagna noodles, meat sauce, black olives, ricotta cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese, asiago cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layering making sure to end with the parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 25 additional minutes.