Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great brunch, or with a salad, even a light dinner. A glass of champagne goes nicely with it too.
- 8 slices bread (I like honey wheat nut)
- 1 cup grated or finely chopped swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 8 slices ham
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Make a paste out of the cheese, mustard, and mayonaise.
- Spread the paste on the inside face of each piece of bread.
- Preheat oven on low.
- Put ham on each slice of bread.
- Top with remaining bread.
- Melt butter in large frying pan.
- Beat egg and milk together.
- Dip sandwiches in egg/milk mixture and fry in skillet.
- When brown on one side, turn over and brown the other side.
- Put sandwiches in oven to keep warm while you do the rest of the sandwiches.
- Serve with fresh fruit.
These weren't very successful for me - the taste was dull and cloying rather than the tasty Paris Croque's I remember.
i love these they are easy and good with a little strawberry jam