Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
We love stuffed cabbage, but it takes quite a bit of time to prepare, my mom gave me this delicious casserole and it sure is one of our favorites.
- 1 lb chopped beef or 1 lb other meat
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 2 lbs cabbage, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can chopped tomatoes or 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- Mix chopped beef, rice, onion, butter, and egg.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease 3 quart casserole.
- Line bottom of casserole with 1/2 cabbage; add 1/2 meat mixture; top with rest of cabbage, then rest of meat mixture.
- Top with chopped tomatoes or tomato sauce.
- Cover, bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour; uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.
- Tastes just like stuffed cabbage without all the work.
This so good. We have made it 3 times now, I'm pretty sure it will be a staple dinner at our house. The only thing we change is adding more more tomatoes. We put in two cans of chopped tomatoes and a can of tomatoe sauce. The first time I didn't add the 2nd can of chopped tomatoes and we ended up adding V8 cause it was too dry. Thanks for sharing!
I loved this recipe, although I did make a few small changes. I doubled it and baked in a 9 x 13 glass dish. For the tomatos on top I used a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes. That still was not enough liquid. Half way through I mixed up a can of tomato soup with 1 can water and added that over top. When it was finished it was still a little too dry for my taste and I poked and broke it up and added a quart of V-8. I may have not chopped my cabbage up enough, but we like larger slices more than chopped. The added liquid did the trick. Next time I may add V-8 or tomato soup to each layer of cabbage and maybe the brown sugar. Exellent dinner with mashed potatoes and buttered bread.
Very delicious! Tastes just like stuffed peppers! The only adjustment I would make is adding the tomato sauce between layers. I used a 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes and 1 6oz can tomato paste mixed with 1 cp water... it was delicious, but it in the future I will add more tomato sauce/tomatoes to the layer below! Thanks for the delicious recipe!