Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a big hit at my house and the first time I made it, my son asked me why I hid this from them and why didn't I ever make it before. It's extremely filling though so watch out! One tip is to make sure you start with thawed perogies. Usually when I start making it, I throw the bag into cold water before hand. Also you can substitute real bacon or ham instead of turkey bacon. I don't use the pepper but that's due to my kids' preference so it might be really good!
- 16 -20 frozen potato pierogies (whichever flavour you like, I use potato and cheese)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 10 ounces condensed mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a small skillet melt butter or margarine and sauté onion, garlic, turkey bacon and green pepper for 5 minutes.
- In a medium size casserole dish, combine thawed perogies, onion, turkey bacon and green pepper.
- Combine milk, mushroom soup and sour cream in a bowl.
- Pour over perogie mixture.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake covered for 35 minutes at 175ºC (350ºF), then the last 10 minutes, bake uncovered. Or microwave until heated through.
I haven't made it yet but had it at a friends place and loved it,she uses frozen perogies but bakes for an hr
I thought this was just ok, it takes awhile to thaw frozen peroies too so it did not go together as quickly as I anticipated. My family wasn't to thrilled with it either.
This recipe was awesome. My kids love perogies. I wanted to do something different with them when I found this recipe. I just "lightned" it up a bit more with fat free sour cream and fat free cheddar cheese. It was still rich and creamy and there was no leftovers . It was also very easy to make. Thanx for the great recipe! It's a keeper!