Recipe by Claire_Beauchamp in Northern BC, Canada
This is a big hit at my house and the first time I made it, my son asked me why I hid this from them and why didn't I ever make it before. It's extremely filling though so watch out! One tip is to make sure you start with thawed perogies. Usually when I start making it, I throw the bag into cold water before hand. Also you can substitute real bacon or ham instead of turkey bacon. I don't use the pepper but that's due to my kids' preference so it might be really good!
- 16 -20 frozen potato pierogies (whichever flavour you like, I use potato and cheese)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 10 ounces condensed mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup aged cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small skillet melt butter or margarine and sauté onion, garlic, turkey bacon and green pepper for 5 minutes.
- In a medium size casserole dish, combine thawed perogies, onion, turkey bacon and green pepper.
- Combine milk, mushroom soup and sour cream in a bowl.
- Pour over perogie mixture.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake covered for 35 minutes at 175ºC (350ºF), then the last 10 minutes, bake uncovered. Or microwave until heated through.