Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
You don't have to be lazy, just pressed for time, to enjoy this flavorful, easy-to-throw-together one dish meal. But, on a lazy Saturday in the middle of winter, this smells wonderful while its cooking and sure hits the spot at suppertime, served with some fresh bread and butter. This recipe has been around a long time and has been used by buzy moms (and lazy bachelors) everywhere.
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup (such as Progresso Hearty Tomato Soup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red wine, divided
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced and sauteed in butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Grease a large casserole dish. Put in beef, carrots, soup, bay leaf, potatoes, onions and 1/2 cup red wine. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 4 hours.
- Remove cover and stir in peas, mushrooms and the rest of the red wine. Cook for 1 hour longer.