Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
I found this recipe on the back of the label on a package of ground beef! Of all the different ways I've used the same old pasta and sauce combinations, I'd never tried this one - it was a big hit! I'm sure this will adapt itself to using vegetables, different meats, no meat - whatever you like best. I'm including the ingredients for a "lazy" marinara sauce in case you don't have any jars of storebought in the pantry.
Top Review by Ericadawn
We liked this alot. It was very easy to make- much easier than regular lasagna. I used tortellini instead of ravioli since we like that better. I had canned spaghetti sauce on hand so I used that. I used more mozzarella than this calls for (probably about 3-4 cups total). I also put some parmesan inbetween the layers and on top too. Yum!
- 1⁄2-1 lb ground beef
- 1 -2 minced garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (26 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 25 ounces frozen cheese ravioli
- 1 -2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or a blend of mozzarella and parmesan)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 -2 teaspoon italian seasoning (or a blend of oregano, basil and parsley)
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- salt, to taste
- 1 -2 dash wine (just a splash or two) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 375.
- brown ground beef with garlic and onion in large nonstick skillet. Drain off fat if necessary.
- Mix with prepared marinara and set aside.
- You can use a jar of storebought marinara or make your own with the ingredients listed above. The ingredients are flexible - I use whatever combination of canned tomatoes I happen to have at the time - crushed, diced, puree, with herbs or garlic already added - whatever. No need to cook before you add to the mix - it will bake along with everything else.
- Bring 4 qts water to a boil. Cook ravioli just till it floats, about 3-5 minutes. Drain.
- Place a bit of sauce/beef mixture in bottom of 9x13 pan. Add a layer of half the ravioli, topped by half the sauce, followed by half the shredded cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes, till sauce is bubbly and cheese is browned.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.