Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is much easier & quicker to make than the traditional version. The marshmallows not only give the popcorn balls a different flavour but make them chewy, too. I call them "goblin" popcorn balls because I did them up for the Trick or Treaters this year - wrapped them in green plastic wrap & tied with gold ribbon.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (250 g) bag mini marshmallows
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 12 cups air-popped popcorn
- 1 cup M&M's plain chocolate candy
- Measure popcorn into large bowl.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter in pot over low heat.
- Add brown sugar and stir until dissolved in butter.
- Add marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Pour over popcorn and mix until evenly coated.
- Add M&Ms and mix again.
- Butter hands and, working quickly, form into balls.
- When cool, wrap individually in plastic wrap.
Yummy and so easy to make. I didn't use the M & M's as I didn't have any, but would be good with them, I'm sure. I melted the butter, brown sugar and marshmallows (used large) in the microwave. It only took a few minutes. I stirred every 30 seconds.
Important note: If you are a fast mixer WAIT until the marshmallow mixture has cooled a bit to add the M&Ms. I added mine while it was still warm and they all melted/cracked in half when I was using pressure to put together the balls. Fortunately they are for 4 year olds so it will probably make it more appealing that they are essentially coated in chocolate... but they are ugly. Really chewy too, I think I prefer the old school corn syrup method, though this was a quick and easy way to make something similar.
These turned out fantastic! was skeptical about adding the brown sugar, cause marshmallows are already sweet, but it really added candy flavor. I also melted the butter and marshmellows in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. Delcous way to use up leftover marshmallows!