This recipe is much easier & quicker to make than the traditional version. The marshmallows not only give the popcorn balls a different flavour but make them chewy, too. I call them "goblin" popcorn balls because I did them up for the Trick or Treaters this year - wrapped them in green plastic wrap & tied with gold ribbon.
- Measure popcorn into large bowl.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter in pot over low heat.
- Add brown sugar and stir until dissolved in butter.
- Add marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Pour over popcorn and mix until evenly coated.
- Add M&Ms and mix again.
- Butter hands and, working quickly, form into balls.
- When cool, wrap individually in plastic wrap.
Yummy and so easy to make. I didn't use the M & M's as I didn't have any, but would be good with them, I'm sure. I melted the butter, brown sugar and marshmallows (used large) in the microwave. It only took a few minutes. I stirred every 30 seconds.
These turned out fantastic! was skeptical about adding the brown sugar, cause marshmallows are already sweet, but it really added candy flavor. I also melted the butter and marshmellows in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. Delcous way to use up leftover marshmallows!
This is like the recipe that Martha Stewart used on her Halloween special. I loved the idea of adding the M&M's so I decided to try it. It was a horrible mess. My grandmother and I use to make popcorn balls for the trick-or-treaters in the neighborhood. Nothing against this recipe, but I preferred tradition over convienence.