Montana Heart Song's Note:
Preparation two ways.Usually tomatoes are ripe all at once.This recipe,you blanch, skin,stem, mash, freeze the tomatoes.Then thaw, make at your leisure. Or you can make all at once. Vintage #4 Crock recipe in which everything was put in a crock after skinning the tomatoes and it set for a week in a cool cellar before cooking.This recipe is salt free. Add if you like.
My Private Note
half pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat a large stockpot with boiling water.
- 2Add 8 to 10 tomatoes to the pot. When the skins start to wrinkle, remove with slotted spoon to a sink of ice water. Repeat until all tomatoes have been blanched. Remove skins & stem end of each tomato.
- 3Put in a large pot and mash down or cut in pieces.
- 4To freeze and prepare later:.
- 5Place in large freezer bags and mark.
- 6To prepare, just thaw and add the following ingredients below.
- 7To prepare fresh, add white onions to mashed tomatoes in a large pot. Add all of the spices and heat on low. Stir with a wooden spoon. When simmering, add brown sugar. Stir until mixed and taste. Add more sugar if not sweet enough.
- 8Note: You may use liquid sweetner sugar substitute. Add 1 cup water if you use liquid sweetner.
- 9Cool down.
- 10Put tomato mixture in blender in small amounts. Puree.(Do not try to blend hot mixture).
- 11Heat half pint sterilized jars in water in oven on low heat. Heat seals.
- 12Bring pureed mixture to a low simmer, do not burn. Place in half pint jars or pint jars. With a clean damp cloth wipe rim of jar, seal and tighten with ring.
- 13Hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- 14Note: I have sterilized bottles and poured in bottles and dipped bottle corks in paraffin before sealing.
- 15Note: If you want a few half pints for chili sauce, add 1 tblsp horseradish and 2 drops tabasco sauce or hot sauce to each half pint, stir before sealing. Do not add to the whole batch.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lazy Day Tomato Ketchup
Serving Size: 1 (47 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 80
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 20.4
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 0.5 g