Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Preparation two ways.Usually tomatoes are ripe all at once.This recipe,you blanch, skin,stem, mash, freeze the tomatoes.Then thaw, make at your leisure. Or you can make all at once. Vintage #4 Crock recipe in which everything was put in a crock after skinning the tomatoes and it set for a week in a cool cellar before cooking.This recipe is salt free. Add if you like.
- 30 -35 fully ripe tomatoes, any type
- 2 large white onions, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 3⁄4-1 cup brown sugar
- Heat a large stockpot with boiling water.
- Add 8 to 10 tomatoes to the pot. When the skins start to wrinkle, remove with slotted spoon to a sink of ice water. Repeat until all tomatoes have been blanched. Remove skins & stem end of each tomato.
- Put in a large pot and mash down or cut in pieces.
- To freeze and prepare later:.
- Place in large freezer bags and mark.
- To prepare, just thaw and add the following ingredients below.
- To prepare fresh, add white onions to mashed tomatoes in a large pot. Add all of the spices and heat on low. Stir with a wooden spoon. When simmering, add brown sugar. Stir until mixed and taste. Add more sugar if not sweet enough.
- Note: You may use liquid sweetner sugar substitute. Add 1 cup water if you use liquid sweetner.
- Cool down.
- Put tomato mixture in blender in small amounts. Puree.(Do not try to blend hot mixture).
- Heat half pint sterilized jars in water in oven on low heat. Heat seals.
- Bring pureed mixture to a low simmer, do not burn. Place in half pint jars or pint jars. With a clean damp cloth wipe rim of jar, seal and tighten with ring.
- Hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- Note: I have sterilized bottles and poured in bottles and dipped bottle corks in paraffin before sealing.
- Note: If you want a few half pints for chili sauce, add 1 tblsp horseradish and 2 drops tabasco sauce or hot sauce to each half pint, stir before sealing. Do not add to the whole batch.
I used the fresh method. I cooked the blanced tomatoes and onions and then run through food mix. Then I simmered tomato mixture w/spices and vinegar for about two hours. Tomato mixture reduced to about 1/3 or 1/4 original amount - just the right consistency of ketchup. Then I stirred in the brown sugar and processed. My family thinks it taste good.