Recipe by LARavenscroft
This is the lasagna recipe that I have used for years. I like the fact that you don't have to cook the noodles first. Found this in one of those cookbooks that you find at the check out stand. My recipe is getting tattered and worn so I thought I would post it here for safe keeping. Cooking time does not include setting overnight. I've posted the recipe to be gluten free, but you could easily use regular noodles in place of the brown rice lasagna.
Top Review by breezermom
I loved that I could come home and the lasagna was ready to pop into the oven! Also loved not cooking the lasagna noodles. I did use half of my own spaghetti sauce that I took out of the freezer mixed with a bit of store-bought spaghetti sauce instead of using all store-bought sauce. I used a mix of 2/3 lb ground sirloin and 1/2 lb italian sausage. This turned out perfectly! Thanks so much....I took a pic, but it was nighttime and the cheese, etc. didn't make for the best photo with a flash. I'll try again tomorrow and hope for a bit of daylight!!! Made for Zaar Cook Book Tag.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or mild Italian sausage)
- 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles, brown rice, uncooked
- 1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet; drain well.
- Add spaghetti sauce and water and blend well; simmer 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, chives, oregano and egg and mix well.
- In bottom of ungreased 13x9 baking dish or lasagna pan, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce.
- Top with half of the noodles, half of the ricotta cheese mixture and half of the mozzarella.
- Repeat with remaining noodles, ricotta cheese mixture and mozzarella.
- Top with remaining meat sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover baking dish and bake for 50-60 minutes or until noodles are tender and casserole is bubbly.
- Cover: let stand for 15 minutes before serving.