Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
- 1 cup uncooked rolled oats (instant or regular, I used rolled oats)
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cream or 3 tablespoons milk
- 3⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- In a shallow bowl soak oats in boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile proceed by measuring butter and sugars into beater bowl and beating until light.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Sift and measure flour, sifting again with the soda and spices.
- By this time the oats will be soaked and cool.
- Remove beaters from creamed mixture and fold in soaked oats.
- Sift flour mixture over and fold in.
- Turn in a buttered 9x9" pan and bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes .
- Mix all the topping ingredients.
- Do not remove cake from pan but while still hot spread topping over and put under the broiler until bubbly and tinged with gold.
- Watch carefully.
This has been one of my kid's favorite cakes for many years.
Made a vegan version of this. I used 2/3 cup applesauce instead of the eggs, margarine instead of butter and soy milk in place of the cream. It turned out moist and delicious!!
Every year for my birthday my mom would ask me what kind of cake i wanted and I picked this one ever time. Im 57 now and my mom quit making me cakes years ago but I still love this cake. I believe the recipe is exactly the same.