Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
From Taste of Home. An old-fashioned cake with its caramel- like frosting, loaded with chewy coconut. A family -pleasing and pot- luck favorite.
Top Review by Calee
This is an old standby cake at our home we all love this cake. I always have fun making this one love seeing the topping bubbly under the broiler and love the texture of the cake and caramel tasting topping. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick and pale yellow, about 4 minutes.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and beat just until combined.
- In a saucepan, bring milk and butter to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add to batter and beat until combined.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Combine frosting ingredients; spread over warm cake.
- Broil 4 in.from heat until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Yield: 16-20 servings.