Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an old-fashioned favourite I love with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk, heated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat eggs in mixing bowl until frothy; beat in sugar in 4 or 5 separate additions; stir in vanilla.
- Next, stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Heat milk and butter together in small saucepan just until hot; add to batter, stirring slowly and carefully.
- Scrape into a greased 9-inch square cake pan and bake for about 25 minutes, or until cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Make topping-- combine last 4 ingredients together in a small saucepan; heat and stir until hot and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread topping over cake fresh from the oven; leave oven on.
- Return cake to oven and heat until topping is bubbling well, anywhere from 3-5 minutes.
- Variation: use chopped pecans or walnuts instead of the coconut.
The texture of this cake is similar to angelfood cake. Nice and light and "spongy". The topping...Oh my....sweet, gooey, buttery. For such a simple and easy cake, this is simply wonderful. I microwaved the milk and butter for the cake (1 minute on high) and microwaved the topping (2 minutes on high, stirred half way). Next time I will have to double the recipe...it was gone in 5 minutes!
Wonderful cake. Always like making a smaller cake...bigger cake...bigger behind...thanks for posting...
I was REALLY lazy when I made this cake and forgot to add sugar! Luckily I noticed in time...the cake was only in for one minute, so I took it out added the sugar and it still turned out delicious! The texture was great! I was unsure when mixing the batter if it was okay to have some lumps, but it turned out great so I guess the lumps were ok. Thanks for submitting..this is a keeper!