Recipe by Lennie
This is an old-fashioned favourite I love with a cup of tea or coffee.
Top Review by princess buttercup
The texture of this cake is similar to angelfood cake. Nice and light and "spongy". The topping...Oh my....sweet, gooey, buttery. For such a simple and easy cake, this is simply wonderful. I microwaved the milk and butter for the cake (1 minute on high) and microwaved the topping (2 minutes on high, stirred half way). Next time I will have to double the recipe...it was gone in 5 minutes!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk, heated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup coconut flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat eggs in mixing bowl until frothy; beat in sugar in 4 or 5 separate additions; stir in vanilla.
- Next, stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Heat milk and butter together in small saucepan just until hot; add to batter, stirring slowly and carefully.
- Scrape into a greased 9-inch square cake pan and bake for about 25 minutes, or until cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Make topping-- combine last 4 ingredients together in a small saucepan; heat and stir until hot and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread topping over cake fresh from the oven; leave oven on.
- Return cake to oven and heat until topping is bubbling well, anywhere from 3-5 minutes.
- Variation: use chopped pecans or walnuts instead of the coconut.