Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I needed to make cabbage rolls in a hurry one day, so I converted my regular recipe to a quicker variety. These taste every bit as good as the original.
- 1⁄2 head cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, chopped fine (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup uncle ben rice
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup water
- Brown ground beef and set aside.
- (after browning, I always put the hamburger in a colander and rinse with hot water to remove excess grease) Cook bacon until crisp then crumble.
- Cook onion, garlic and red pepper (if using) in a small amount of oil until the onion is soft.
- Add thyme and marjoram.
- Slice cabbage thinly and put in casserole.
- Mix ground beef with onion mixture.
- Then add the bacon, rice,parsley, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and put over cabbage.
- Mix soup, water& tomato sauce.
- Pour over meat layer.
- Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.
We loved this! The leftovers taste even better.
We loved this casserole. I made1and 1/2 recipe. I replaced the tomato sauce with another can of tomato soup and precooked the rice with about 1 cup of water. I then only added 1 cup of water over the top. This then decreased the cooking time by 1/2 hour. It turned out great, rice soft and casserole full of flavor. I foresee this being on our table many more times. Super easy, super good. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Tried this recipe over the weekend. Didn't add any of the spices or the bacon and used about 1.5 lbs of ground beef and about 3/4 head of cabbage. Used one cup of minute rice. Layered by using half of ground beef first in casserole dish, then half of cabbage then beef and ending with cabbage to make layered casserole. Used larger can of tomato sauce but did add soup and water. You would never know you were eating cabbage! Lots of flavour, moist, and plentiful. Tastes great the next day too!