Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 tablespoons long grain rice
- 2 cups store-bought spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Saute beef, onion, salt, pepper and rice until beef is brown.
- In roaster, lay the cabbage, then meat mixture, then layer of spaghetti sauce on top.
- Cover with foil and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
I really liked this. I actually kinda combined this recipe and Unrolled Cabbage Rolls, adding some garlic powder, and blanching the chopped cabbage for about 5 minutes before using in the dish. I also mixed everything all up instead of doing it layered, it stayed moister like that.
My family LOVES this recipe!!! We have a farmer friend that brought us several heads of cabbage and we were at a loss of how to use it all up. This is perfect!!! I have made it several times and sometimes when I double it, I use 1 lb. ground mild sausage and 1 lb. ground turkey and it still comes out perfect, every time!!!
This was a good basic casserole. I made it exactly as was written, and found I needed to add a bit of water near the end of cooking because some of the rice wasn't cooked and it was a bit dry. Otherwise, a nice recipe!