Prep 20 mins
Cook 90 hrs
don't feel like making all those little cabbage rolls, or pre cooking the cabbage, then this is for you!
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 head cabbage, chopped medium
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups tomato sauce (can substitute half of this amount with salsa for a robust tasting sauce)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place rice in small saucepan; cover with water and bring to boil.
- Simmer 5 minutes; drain.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; add beef and onion and cook until beef is no longer pink and onions are softened.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Stir in rice, cabbage, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa if using, water, salt and pepper.
- Pour into a roasting pan; cover and bake about 1 hour.
- Stir and add 1/2 c.
- more water if necessary.
- Cook 1 hour longer or until cabbage is very tender.
- Makes 8 Generous servings.
- Any leftovers can be frozen for later use.