Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A delicious gravy forms during the cooking of this very easy and tender beef dish. (I got this recipe out of the American Heart Association Cookbook back in the '80's and have made it many, many times. I like the long cooking time because I can get so many other things done while the meat is cooking. (I would imagine it could be done in a crockpot, but I have never done it.)
- 1 lb lean beef chuck, cut in to 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can consomme, undiluted (I use Campbells)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- Put meat in casserole with the red wine, consumme, pepper, rosemary and onion.
- Mix flour and breadcrumbs together and stir into liquid in casserole.
- Cover and bake at 300 degrees F for 3 hours.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
You weren't kidding about the delicious gravy, were you? It was very, very good! The addition of the bread crumbs and flour was interesting and really effective. I doubled the recipe, and was glad I did, because everyone had seconds. I served it over wide egg noodles and it was enjoyed all around. Thanks for posting!
Fabulous recipe !!! This was sooo easy . I loved this brown beef and gravy . We had it over rice , with a salad and fruit for dessert . It is great week-end food and , I bet you could double this recipe quite easily for company !